did you eat too much casserole & pie, too? & did you mean to do better since last thursday, but oops that darn peppermint mocha & chocolate chip cookies were just calling your name all weekend??
oh good, i'm not alone :)
here's my yummilicious + healthy + easy lentil soup recipe. i foresee us having it a few times this month, hoping to combat the pounds that are sure to be packed on this season!!
oh, & i know - lentil soup doesn't sound so interesting, but trust me (and jen!) it's gooood!
(*adapted from giada di laurentiis' recipe found here.)
1 lb (+/-) 1/2 inch cut ham (you can get this cut @ the deli), cut into cubes
1 md onion, chpd
3 carrots, peeled/chpd
3 celery stalks, chpd
4 garlic cloves, minced
sea salt & pepper
1 (14.5oz) can diced tomatoes
1 lb lentils (dried - these are so cheap!)
4 Knorr chicken bullion cubes (keep another cube on reserve in case you need it)
8 cups boiling water (to mix with the bullion cubes)
6 sprigs fresh thyme
1 cup parmesan
1. heat lg dutch oven to md heat. toss ham chunks in & let them cook while you peel & chop the veggies (8-10 mins, maybe). stir a couple of times - you can turn the heat down if the ham starts getting too brown. the point is for the ham to warm/brown well & slowly - this is what makes the soup so flavorful.
2. toss onions, carrots, & celery in the pot & allow to cook for a few minutes. add garlic & s&p. saute until all the veggies are tender, about 5-8 mins.
3. add the tomatoes & their juice. simmer until juices evaporate a little & the tomatoes breakdown, stirring occasionally (about 8 mins).
4. add lentils & mix to coat. add broth & stir. add thyme.
5. bring to boil over high heat.
6. cover & simmer over low until lentils are almost tender (about 30 mins).
**check soup @ about 20 mins. if it seems to need more liquid, you can add another bullion cube mixed into 2 c of water.
sprinkle some parmesan over you soup & voila! you've got a healthy winter meal!
and in case you skipped that peppermint mocha today, i'll mention that if you grab some bakery bread, slice it, brush slices with olive oil, put back as a loaf, wrap in foil, heat for 10-15 mins @ 400, & serve it with your soup, you won't be disappointed...
and in case you didn't skip the mocha & you had some m&ms too (like some people i know), make the bread anyway because it's good :)
happy december 1st!