i was planning on making some heart shaped valentine's sugar cookies (complete with frosting!) with hudson for a little gift for his teachers, when i remembered that i'm 8.5 months pregnant & that is just a little too much :)
that's when i came across this recipe, modified it a bit & voila! i think i may have found the perfect cookie to make with your 2 year old (well, 2.5 yr old anyway). it has only a few ingredients, so it's quick, quick, quick to whip up & the rest of the steps are super "preschool helper" friendly!
peanut butter kiss cookies
1 c. smooth peanut butter
1/3 c. powdered sugar
1/3 c. brown sugar
1/3 c. white sugar (+ for rolling)
pinch of salt
1. dump all ingredients into a bowl & mix well (hudson was thrilled to use THREE different sugars!). *now this is where i'm not sure how the houston humidity effects baking, so if the dough is too dry to roll into balls, add a tsp @ a time of water & if it's too wet, add a little more sugar (really, can you have too much??! haha!)
2. roll the dough into small (1 in. diameter) balls & let your little one roll the balls in a small bowl of sugar & place them on an UNGREASED cookie sheet. h LOVED this part :)
3. bake @ 350 for 13-15 mins. you don't want them gooey, but you don't want them overbaked (just getting golden brown on the bottoms is best).
4. while they're baking, having your kiddo unwrap the hershey's kisses - h's favorite part!! you can even count them as you go!
5. as soon as the cookies come out of the oven, help your little guy put a kiss in the center of each cookie (hudson had the tendency to smoosh the cookie to smitherines, so beware!!).
6. while you're waiting for the cookies to cool completely (takes several hours for the chocolate to completely cool, fyi), get out your camera & take pictures of your kiddo enjoying the treat...
first he sipped the milk...
then he licked some sugar off...
deciding that was good & saying "mmmmmm!!!"
going for the chocolate (man after his mommy's heart!)...
he liked it!!!
***i'm not saying these cookies are the most perfect piece of peanut butter goodness you've ever put in your mouth (you can definitely find a more "gourmet" recipe), but i AM saying they're pretty darn good & worth making with your little one!
ps: several of you have asked about h's big boy room - it's coming along, actually as i type (mama had to have a "put your feet up" break)!! we had some issues with the curtain rod (the tab curtains wouldn't pull well on the thicker wooden rod), but we've finally found a solution & tonight is going to be his FIRST night in the big boy room!!! exciting!! we just decided to put the mattresses on the floor for now as his bed is finally finished (hoorayyyy!!!), but cannot be stained with these cold temperatures.) i'll take pics & share them soon - i hope it's sunnier tomorrow...